Self-confidence isn’t something that you’re born with. But it certainly is something that you can learn. And the more you practice it, the more confident you will become. Here are six tips that will help you look — and feel — self-confident:
1. Figure out what you’re good at and capitalize on it. Make a decision to be an expert in one area of your business or job.
2. Whenever your area of expertise comes up, take a position and share it with others. Don’t sit back and wait to see which direction everyone else is going and then follow along.
3. Make your points without apologizing. Sit or stand up straight, and speak clearly without mumbling or fumbling around.
4. Accept compliments graciously. Don’t say things like “anyone could have done it,” when in reality, you’ve put a lot of time and effort into the finished product.
5. Admit mistakes. When you make a bad decision, acknowledge it; share what you’ve learned and move on. Don’t dwell on the bad stuff.
6. Don’t be over-confident. If you’re an intern, you probably need a little more experience before you apply for the CEO job.
When you act self-confident, you inspire confidence in others and put yourself on the road to success.