Niagara Falls is located on the west bank of the Niagara River, overlooking the falls and directly opposite the city of Niagara Falls, N.Y., to which it is connected by both highway and railway bridges. It is famous as a tourist resort and for its great hydro-electric plants which supply most of the cities in southwestern Ontario. Its chief manufactured products include abrasives, beverages, chemicals, cereal products, canned goods, fertilizers, machinery, silverware and underwear.
Welland, county seat of Welland county, is located on the Welland Ship Canal about 8 miles north of Lake Erie. A developing manufacturing centre, its factories produce steel products, machinery, tools, rubber goods, textiles and electrical appliances. In 2006 the city had resident population of 50,331.
Fort Erie, at the outlet of Lake Erie into Niagara River, is connected with Buffalo, N.Y., by the Peace Bridge. At the Canadian end of the bridge is located a park which occupies the site of a French fort and settlement of 1750. From this point the four lane Queen Elizabeth Way leads to Toronto.
At the Lake Erie entrance of the Welland Canal, Port Colborne, including the formerly independent village of Humberstone, held a population of 18,599 in 2006. Grain elevators, blast furnaces, a nickel refinery and a cement plant are important industries.