Hot careers through 2018 and beyond
These fields are likely to offer good pay and job security in coming years.
Are you ready to learn about some of the hottest careers? Check out these hot job opportunities through 2018 and beyond… then see how you can get started.
Hot Career 1: Accountant / Auditor
Accountants keep finances in order by taking care of things like overseeing cash flow and filing tax paperwork. Auditors analyze finances to ensure everything is being done according to the law.
• There were 1.3 million accountant and auditor jobs in 2008…
• And the Department of Labor projects about 279,400 new positions to be added through 2018.
• Changing financial laws, evolving regulations, and more detailed scrutiny of company finances mean fast job growth for accountants.
Hot Career 2: Medical Assistant
As a medical assistant in the growing health care field, you’ll work to keep a hospital, clinic, or doctor’s office running smoothly by keeping records and/or taking patients’ vital signs.
• Medical assistants held a whopping 483,600 jobs in 2008, and that number is projected to grow…
• In fact, medical assisting is one of the fastest growing jobs out there. The Department of Labor projects a 34 percent growth rate from 2008-2018.
• More health care facilities are employing people who can do administrative as well as clinical work, which means more opportunities for medical assistants with the right training.
Hot Career 3: Financial Examiner
As a financial examiner, you’ll make sure that businesses follow financial laws and regulations. After recent financial scandals, there’s lots of demand for workers who can help keep organizations finances in order and follow current regulations.
Why it’s hot
• This job should grow much faster than average (41 percent more job openings) over the next few years.
• Businesses are increasingly aware of the need to follow financial regulations.
• More government oversight of the financial sector means more jobs.
Hot Career 4: Physical Therapist Assistant
If you want a stable career with rewarding work, this may be just the right fit for you. Assistants help patients recover after an injury or illness. They work directly with patients and perform support tasks like record-keeping.
Why it’s hot
• As the baby boomers age, there will be more demand for physical therapy to recover from illness and injury.
• Insurance companies are starting to cover more procedures, so more workers will be needed.
• In fact, the Department of Labor expects to see fast growth in job openings for this position.
Hot Career 5: Computer Software Engineer, Applications
Designing and creating programs to run on digital devices – from laptops to cell phones – is a booming business. This field is expecting even further growth, especially in the mobile arena.
• It’s one of the fastest growing careers… and with technology continually evolving, that’s no surprise.
• The Department of Labor predicts a 34 percent increase in jobs between 2008 and 2018.
• They number of new jobs to be created: 175,100.